In this engaging episode, Roz invites Helen Rogers, a passionate beekeeper and honey expert, to share her captivating journey from an engineering career to the world of bees.
Helen takes us on her beekeeping adventure, describing how her fascination with bees led her to start beekeeping. She emphasizes the crucial role bees play in pollination and the ecosystem, and explains the joys and challenges of setting up and managing beehives.
The Hive Dynamics:
Helen unravels the inner workings of a beehive, introducing us to the queen, workers, and drones. Each bee's unique role is vital for the hive's success. She also sheds light on the precious hive products like honey, beeswax, and propolis, which have various uses.
The Art of Honey Tasting:
Helen shares her enlightening experience of becoming a certified honey sommelier in Italy. She delves into the intricacies of identifying different single-origin honeys by their scent, flavor, and appearance, revealing the unique stories behind each.
Unveiling Honey Preferences:
Roz and Helen explore the art of honey tasting, discussing the diverse flavor profiles of honeys harvested from different sources. Helen emphasizes how personal memories often influence honey preferences, with people leaning towards honey from their local areas.
Honey and Culinary Pairings:
The conversation takes a delicious turn as Helen unveils the intriguing world of pairing honey with wine and cheese. She explains how the richness of certain honeys can complement the flavors of various cheeses, leading to delightful tasting experiences.
Lessons and Insights:
Helen opens up about the patience and learning required in beekeeping, admitting her own mistakes along the way. The significance of effective communication within a bee colony is stressed, along with the profound impact of Dave Goulson's work on bee conservation and environmental awareness.
Looking ahead, Helen shares her plans for in-person honey tasting workshops and new products in her online shop. Her commitment to teaching beginner beekeepers and fostering a bee-friendly community shines through.
The episode wraps up with a shared fascination for the intelligence of bees and the captivating world of beekeeping. Roz and Helen express their mutual interest in honey tasting and potential collaborations.
- Beekeeping is a rewarding journey requiring patience and continuous learning.
- Bees are vital for ecosystem health and successful pollination.
- Honey tasting involves recognizing unique scents, flavors, and appearances of various honeys.
- Hive communication and decision-making influence the harmony of bee colonies.
- Dave Goulson's work is a valuable resource for understanding bees and environmental conservation.
Helen Rogers Resources:
Social Media: @highgatehoney
- Lots of free resources on our website: www.thecutflowercollective.co.uk
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fieldgateflowers
- Facebook Groups Cut Flower Farming – Growth and Profit in your business https://www.facebook.com/groups/449543639411874
- Learn With The Cut Flower Collective https://www.facebook.com/groups/learnwiththecutflowercollective